WEBINAR: How to Get a Job in the US
Get the inside knowledge you need to be competitive in your search
This course is a recording of the webinar Checklist: How to Get a Job in the US on April 5, 2018.
Included in this package is:
- 1 hour webinar with student Q&A
- Slides from the webinar
- Resources discussed in the webinar
This webinar includes an overview of:
- What employers expect from international students
- How to stand out to employers
- How to deal with rejection
- How to find companies that sponsor H1B
- The US job search process and informational interviews
- How to convince employers to hire you
This webinar features questions and answers about internships from international students across the US. Some of the questions asked and answered:
- Does certifications help to showcase such skills?
- Many companies do not want to hire international MS student because of sponsoring for H1b,what should MS do then?
- How do you contact recruiters if we don't know their emails?
- Does it take a 1000 rejections to get hired?
- What is the job scenario for PhD students?
- Does having a STEM degree give international students an advantage?
- What if I am a computer engineer and a MBA student?
- Do start-ups sponsor H1B visa?
- I've had a lot of people advise me to take a year or two off to work before applying for grad school, but is that really an option if I can't get a job here in the US? Is going straight to grad school a bad idea?
- I'm in the west coast but I want to find a job in the east coast. Is there other ways to do informational interviews?
- What do you think of visa opportunities in the entertainment/event services industry?
Here's a preview of a few slides and the content discussed.
Nicolle Merrill is the founder of GlobalMe School, the online career platform that trains international students and professionals for adventurous international careers. In 2018, she launched www.internationalstudentcareers.com, a leading global career website for international students. Nicolle is the author of How to Get a Job in the USA: A Practical Guide for International Students.
Prior to GlobalMe School, Nicolle was an Associate Director of Career Services at Yale School of Management. Over two years, she helped hundreds of international students and global executives through global career transitions. Nicolle has worked with students who have landed roles at Google, Facebook, Amazon, the World Economic Forum, the UN, Alibaba, and numerous startups. Nicolle has spoken to global audiences at American and European higher education conferences on preparing international students for global careers.