The inability to solve a problem and continue working
Example: "Nobody answers my emails. I don't know what's wrong. I'm stuck in my job search and don't know what to do."
TO GET UNSTUCK: (verb)
To make small changes that help you move forward or achieve your goal
Example: "I just learned how to get unstuck when people don't respond to my emails. I'm going to write shorter emails so people write me back."
Everyone gets stuck in their job search. Companies don't call you back. Emails don't get answered. You don't know what to say in informational interviews. You fail an interview.
So how do you move forward and get the job of your dreams?
You need to learn how to get unstuck.
This Unstuck Webinar took place in January 2018 with 20 students. This recording is 60 minutes of Q&A about the internship and job search. No PowerPoint, just indepth Q&A.
Themes covered in this Q&A
- How to engage recruiters and stand out
- The differences between a LinkedIn Premium profile and free profile (includes shared screen so you can the differences)
- How to make a career change (example changing from IT Analyst to Data Analyst)
- Creating a LinkedIn profile when you are searching in more than one industry
- How to find international opportunities among your peers
- How to find and network with recruiters in other countries
- How to find the skills for your target role using Payscale Research (includes shared screen so you can see it in action)
- How to figure out which internship is right for you (using Product Manager roles as an example)
Specific questions we answered
- Do the employers consider international applicants and take it more easily in terms of language/body language or some other cultural/professional aspects during an interview or it is the same for everyone?
- It is difficult to figure out what type of jobs would be good fit for me as there are rarely any jobs openings that specifically match the technical skills that I have. What is your suggestion on this.
- What do I do on LinkedIn to get noticed by employers? Do I need to pay for the premium LinkedIn subscription to benefit from LinkedIn?
- Should I use OPT for my internship now, or should I wait until graduate because they only offer a specific time for OPT. I'm afraid that my time will run out before I find a job. Is there any other option that I can do?
- How would you go about the linkedin title if you are recruiting for different industries? for instance private equity and tech
- What would be the big differences between the linkedin profile and the resume? Or should they be the same?
- What is more important for Internships; a brand-name company or the rich internship experience irrespective of the company?
- How do I modify my LinkedIn profile to reflect my current interests? How do I make my most current and relevant skills on LinkedIn the top of the list and get them endorsed by my connections?
- What's the best mode of networking with recruiters and hiring managers?
- Have you had experience with students networking with european companies in order to find full time opportunities?
- Do you recommend going for career fairs of other schools?
- How to look for jobs in tech and private equity at the same time
Who this course is for
- Any international student who needs more guidance in the job or internship search