WEBINAR: Your Competitive Advantage: Informational Interviewing for International Students
Learn how to build a network and talk to professionals
This course is a recording of the webinar Informational Interviewing for International Students hosted in April 2018.
Building relationships with professionals is 70% of your job search as an international student. Finding a job without an internal referral is nearly impossible in the US.
Informational interviewing helps you build internal advocates who will help you get noticed. Learn how to find the right people to talk to at your dream companies. The informational interview is your power tool for succeeding in the search. Learning how to interview professionals gives you confidence and builds communication skills.
This webinar teaches you how to:
- Build conversational confidence before the interview
- Identify who to talk to inside companies
- Write an email that gets responses
- Talk about yourself
- Be engaging and make a good impression
- Ask interesting questions
- Ask for a favor at the informational interview
- Keep engaged with your contacts
- Connect those relationships when you apply for a job or internship
Get the insider information you need to succeed in your internship or job search.
- An international student studying in the US (undergraduate or graduate)
- A future international student who is attending school next year and want to get ahead of the competition
- Want to understand how to build a US network and engage professionals
This package includes:
- 60 min webinar with Q&A
- Links to resources and templates discussed in the webinar
- Slides from the webinar
- Video demonstration on how to use LinkedIn to find alumni
- 2 visual maps to download that show the conversation steps and a step by step approach to sustain new professional relationships and connect them to opportunity
This webinar features questions and answers about internships from international students across the US. Some of the questions discussed:
How should I approach Americans with a striking message that will help me connect with them well?
What are the ways to connect with people?
- Can I start informational interviewing with people before I start my MBA program?
- What is the format of the informational interview?
- When is the ideal time to start connecting with people?
- How do I make people feel good around me?
- How do we stay connected with them after information interview so that they remember us when an opportunity arises?
- What should you wear to an informational interview?
- Would it be okay to ask if they'd like to meet for coffee if they are in the same town?
- Is asking to talk to another person at the end of the conversation transactional? How do we avoid making ourselves sound transactional?
- How would you recommend referencing your connection when contacting the Hiring Manager?
- How do you make personal connection if you have not much common?
- How does small talk work at the beginning of the conversation?
Here's a preview of the content discussed
Nicolle Merrill is the founder of GlobalMe School, the online career platform that trains international students and professionals for adventurous international careers. In 2018, she launched www.internationalstudentcareers.com, a leading global career website for international students. Nicolle is the author of How to Get a Job in the USA: A Practical Guide for International Students.
Prior to GlobalMe School, Nicolle was an Associate Director of Career Services at Yale School of Management. Over two years, she helped hundreds of international students and global executives through global career transitions. Nicolle has worked with students who have landed roles at Google, Facebook, Amazon, the World Economic Forum, the UN, Alibaba, and numerous startups. Nicolle has spoken to global audiences at American and European higher education conferences on preparing international students for global careers.
StartWebinar and slides (64:10)
StartVIDEO: How to Use LinkedIn's alumni tool to find people for informational interviews (4:04)
StartHow to figure out if you're qualified for a job
StartDOWNLOAD: Visual Maps for a step by step guide on the interview flow and relationship management